Skip to main content


By December 21, 2013 February 28th, 2019 Uncategorized

We wish your furry and human family a Safe and Happy Holiday Season

and ALL THE BEST in the New Year.

Our Holiday Hours are:

December 21 from 10.00-1.00

December 23 from 8.00-6.00

December 24 from 8.00-12.00

December 25 closed

December 26 closed

December 27 from 8.00-8.00

December 28  from 10.00-1.00

December 30 from 8.00-8.00

December 31 from 8.00-12.00

January 1 closed

January 2 regular hours again.

Should you have an emergency during these days, please call the veterinary emergency clinic at 416-226-3663 (North York) or (905) 884-1832 (Richmond Hill).

Please help avoiding an emergency. Be careful with pets and the 12 hazards of the holidays.

1) Ethylene Glycol

This common toxin found in Antifreeze (Windshield washer fluid) can cause acute renal failure. Dogs and Cats like to lick it because it tastes sweet. Usually the first signs seen are lethargy, wobbliness, increaseddrinking and increased urination. If emergency treatment is not instituted this toxin is usually fatal.

2) Chocolate

Seen more frequently during holidays, symptoms can be variable depending on the “purity of the chocolate”. Symptoms include increased thirst, vomiting, restlessness, increased heart rate or arrhythmia and can progress to seizures.

3) Prescription drugs

With the hustle and bustle of the holidays added to visiting family and friends, ingestion of our human medications can be a real hazard. Some harmless drugs for people can be deadly for pets.  Call us or Poison Control ( can be a life saver.

4) Poinsettia

Commonly thought to be “the” toxin of holidays the plant rarely causes more than gastric upset.Having said that, it is best to keep these ornamental plants out or reach (or out of the house) toavoid vomiting and diarrhea in your pet.

5) Raisins/Grapes

Because the mechanism of toxicity is not known, we do not know how much is too much withraisins so please be careful as this “treat” can cause renal failure and even death.

6) Mistletoe

A rather infrequent toxin because of rarity and expense, mistletoe can cause vomiting, diarrhea, fluid loss and even death has been reported.

7) Macadamia nuts

Although the chemical causing the toxin has not yet been identified this ingestion can cause depression, inability to use the hind limbs or stand, in coordination and vomiting. Fortunately, this toxicity is usually self limiting but unpleasant during the episode.

8) Bulbs

The amaryllis is  a favourite for many this time of year but its bulb can cause vomiting and diarrhea in both dogs and cats.

9) Road Salt

Rarely is this seen as an acute oral ingestion but road salt can cause significant discomfort on the pads of dogs. Combine this with a small cut and that can become quite painful.

10) Foreign bodies

Toys, ribbons, ornaments, tinsel – is it any wonder that the occurrence of these accidents increases during the holiday season. Just like you would with a baby in the house – pet proof the holidays and avoid an emergency trip to the veterinarian this holiday season.

11) Table scraps/change in diet

Sure everyone enjoys a bit turkey during the holidays but allowing your pets to ingest bones or letting grandma feed the dog the leftovers could result in a trip to the eterinarian. Try to avoid changes in our pet’s diet as much a possible.

12) Hypothermia

During the winter months hypothermia can and does affect our furry friends. Cats are especially prone to this and more so over the busy holiday season when they may choose to stay outdoors to void the hustle and bustle inside.

Your Careteam

Compassionate Advanced Health Care for a Long and Happy Life of ALL Your Pets.

Animal Hospital of Unionville, a veterinary clinic serving Markham, Richmond Hill, Scarborough, Stouffville, and North York since 1966.

Disclaimer: No part of this website constitute medical advice. Readers are advised to consult with their veterinarian.

Markham veterinarian. Markham vet,

Leave a Reply